Sieges are an event very similar to a standard looting event, except the "play area" is much smaller, and the player cannot leave for a specified amount of time. Sieges can happen in these instances:
- When choosing a location to loot certain areas put you in a siege
- Randomly on the road
- During certain events (such as the Golf event).
- Twice in the final day before entering Canada
In these events you also do not arrive by car, which can be both helpful and not helpful, because if you have armor and a good amount of chassis health on a car, you could potentially just sit in the car for a bit if things get rough. But you cannot in this case. Occasionally a good technique is to purposely corner yourself next to the exit to the area so you can leave as soon as the siege ends, but this method can easily get you swarmed by zombies.
- Hoard ammunition for powerful firearms which may be collected from safes in looting locations or bought from Traders. These and chainsaws can be extremely helpful in case you get cornered or need to rescue a teammate. Keep in mind that your fire rate will decrease rapidly if you are grabbed by zombies.
- Take advantage of explosives like the Pipebomb or Grenade. They can take out large numbers of zombies at once, which is useful if you get cornered or surrounded. However, be careful of their blast radius, as the explosion can easily kill a member of the party.
- Move around the perimeter of the map. Do not get cornered! Zombies will collect toward the center of the map and you may easily be able to leave the map once the timer runs out.
- Hide in a bathroom or kitchen. During some sieges in locations like houses, other rooms may be accessible. Hiding far enough from the door may prevent zombies outside the room from noticing you. Zombies can still fall from the ceiling or funnel through the door, but they are often fewer and easier to deal with. Then you can just lure zombies into your safe hold to dispose of at your leisure. This strategy is less advisable for later in the game or on outdoor maps, however with enough firepower and party members you can kill large hordes as they bottleneck into your holdout area through the single doorway.
During the final day before entering Canada, two different sieges will occur:
- A 1.5-hour siege, which will take place inside a large house or cabin
- The Final Siege, which takes place in a large city block
You must survive both sieges in order to enter the final stage.